Hello, new and returning coaches and parents. Nova North, our regional support organization has changed its training format to more easily accommodate all levels of experience and interest. Below is the article from their site, with registration links. I (Forest Edge coordinator) will be attending all of these sessions to be supportive and also because these are actually pretty fun. I encourage returning and new coaches to attend relevant sessions – they are fun, you can network, and you will be doing your best for your kids.
Online Registration for Coaches Training Workshops Now Available
Based on feedback we received from coaches during our last season, we will be presenting a series of shorter training events for coaches this fall.
- The Welcome to Odyssey of the Mind overview is for any adult who is new to the program and is interested in making sure this will be a worthwhile and fun activity for their children. All new coaches and parents are encouraged to attend. There will be two of these sessions held: on October 18 and on October 25 from 9:00-11:30 am.
- A series of workshops designed to help coaches and co-coaches develop specific skills that will enable them to more effectively manage their team. You can select the individual sessions that you are able to attend:
- Coaching Without Providing Outside Assistance – October 27, 7:00-8:30 pm
- Encouraging Creativity – October 29, 7:00-8:30 pm
- Enhancing the Long-Term Solution: Style and Stagecraft – November 3, 7:00-9:00 pm
- Coaching and Team Management – November 5, 7:00-8:30 pm
- Developing Spontaneous Skills – November 8, 9:00-11:00 am
All sessions will be held at the Center for Innovative Technology (CIT) at 2214 Rock Hill Road (#600) in Herndon. Registration for each session is $5 per person. Pre-payment online is preferred, but payments by check will be accepted at the door. For security reasons, participants must be registered in advance. You will need to identify yourself to park in the CIT garage. Walk-ins will NOT be accepted this year.
We invite School Coordinators to attend any training event at no charge. However, for anyone serving as both a coordinator and a coach, we would appreciate payment to help offset tournament costs. In addition, coaches and coordinators from any Odyssey region are welcome to register for these workshops.